Applying Maintenance Oil
Rubio Monocoat Universal Maintenance Oil is used for protecting and refreshing the finish of your Sawyer Mason oil-finished floors. Please be sure to confirm which finish your floor has, oil or Bona Naturale. Any questions, please contact your salesperson. These directions are only for oil-finished Sawyer Mason floors.
The frequency of using this product will depend on the intensity of the floor traffic. However, it is recommended to apply RMC Universal Maintenance Oil after installation of your Sawyer Mason oiled flooring and before any furniture or rugs are placed. This is not required for the warranty, but many people choose to apply the Maintenance Oil to provide another layer of protection as well as add a soft luster to the floors. Keep any unused Maintenance Oil to buff out minor scratches in your flooring.
- Remove all dust and dirt from the floor and ensure the room is well-ventilated.
- If the floor is dirty, clean the floor thoroughly with Rubio Monocoat Natural Soap and water (see below). Rinse well with water using well-wrung mop to eliminate any soap residues. Leave it to dry completely.
- It is recommended to use an experienced flooring installer to apply Maintenance Oil.
- Using a floor polishing machine, pour a small amount, no more than ¼ cup, of oil onto the floor. Use a white polishing pad on the floor polisher and cover as much floor as possible for five minutes. Hint: Use very little product to prevent the floors from becoming too heavy with oil and sticky. Each .5L bottle of oil covers 750 sf, so gauge accordingly.
- After applying the oil for five minutes, now it’s time to buff.
- Attach a clean white polishing pad onto the floor polisher and buff off excess oil on the area you just treated. Remember, you can never buff off too much oil. Hint: buy a bag of terry cloth towels at your local big box store. Wrap a towel over the clean white pad, tucking the corners under the pad, then buff off the excess oil. Use both sides of the towel and discard when it becomes coated in oil. Replace with clean white towel and continue buffing. Note: for corners and next to baseboards, apply oil by hand and buff off by hand.
- Continue applying oil on areas of the floor for five minutes, then going back and buffing off the excess oil. Each treated area should be buffed dry within 10-15 minutes of application. Never allow treated floors to dry for more than 15 minutes before buffing off excess oil!
- Allow the floor to dry 6-8 hours before walking on it or adding furniture. Wait one week to lay down area rugs to allow the finish to fully cure.
- During the first week, clean only using a wet cloth. Later, RMC Natural Soap may be used.
- Rubio Monocoat Universal Maintenance Oil may NOT be diluted! After usage, cloths need to Rubio Monocoat Universal Maintenance Oil may NOT be diluted! After usage, cloths need to be soaked in water before disposal. Cloths, saturated with oil, may spontaneously combust.
Storage: The product can be stored for up to 12 months. Store in dry conditions and in the original packaging.
Packaging: Available in a 0.5L can